Monday, November 07, 2005

Laughs and music

Readers know that I wasn't thrilled to see the white white white web ignore the passing of pioneer Rosa Parks. At The Third Estate Sunday Review, we usually do parodies and this Sunday's parody was a look at some out of it, apparently "progressive" bloggers. Here's one section of the mock website we created for "Googs," this is from "The wacky web:"

DEAD BUT NOT FORGOTEEN, REMEMBERING AN IMPORTANT WOMAN
I was thinking about John Edwards last night. Two Americas. So true. So very, very true. So this October 25, 2005, I want to note an important passing. Probably you've already talked about it because it was big news. She is missed.Of coure I'm speaking of Ann Forrest who passed away two decades ago. I often find myself reflecting on how much like her character (Zoe Barbille) in The Wise Fool I am. She filmed Dangerous Days and she really lived them because, like, in those days they didn't even have sound. Can you imagine how weird was that? Everytime someone moved their lips, you had to look at the title cards to figure out what was being said. I bet only the really rich could afford to have title cards carried around for them. Everyone else was mute in those days. That must have been hard but sometimes I get to thinking, "Googs, you could write title cards!" I could too. Watch: "Unhand me, you fiend, or face the wrath of John Edwards!" Sigh.But there really are Two Americas and I want to make sure we all understand that and, honestly, to be more inclusive. So on this monumental day, I want to note the passing, two decades ago, of the silent film actress Ann Foster. She remained silent so that we could all speak. Two Americas, the living and the dead.
12:01pm 10-25-05
COMMENTS
Who the hell is Ann Foster?
Tukie
Didn't Rosa Parks just die? Why the hell is Googs writing about some actress who died two decades ago?
Siddie
I bet if you asked Googs, "What's your favorite chocolate?" she'd answer, "White."
Lylonzo
Lylonzo, you are so banned! Posting privs revoked! Troll!
Googs


I think the thing we worked on turned out real funny and I was glad to be a part of it. And that was before I visited the nursing home Sunday afternoon and heard Three Cool Old Guys tell me their favorite parts of it. They loved it.

They also loved Sunday's edition of The Third Estate Sunday Review and felt it was the best yet. How come? Because of the funny feature about the wacky web, because of Ava and C.I.'s TV review which they love to read and laugh and also see the levels in it. But they just felt it was a really great mix with some serious stuff and some fun stuff and the book discussion. But they also enjoyed the thing where we answered Benji's question about what album we listened to the most that week. They just felt it was a really good blend.

Another thing that was really good, and you can consider tonight's entry a "mix" because I have a date tonight and am trying to hurry, is Kat, of Kat's Korner, album review "A Time To Dance:"

Diana Ross and I parted ways over Working Overtime. I could go with the new look (smudged make up, torn jeans) and could even take the jerky title track. What I couldn't take was an album that felt repeating a bromide over and over qualified for lyrics (and "meaning"). As high priestess of love, Diana didn't cut it. Apparently she's passed the robes to Stevie. They don't fit him any better than they did her.
I say that to say: Put on Stevie Wonder's A Time To Love to shake your ass.
Make that your priority and you can't go wrong.
I rushed to Tower the day A Time to Love came out and snapped up my copy. I went home and listened and was despondent to the point of contemplating if I should draw up a will? Then I threw a party and one of the albums playing was A Time to Love.
You can dance to this album.
That's no easy trick. With all the "beats" and name producers, the
Disney Kids' hollow product still can't keep you dancing for an entire CD. Stevie is still the "Master Blaster." That's worth noting.
"So Kat, how come you ain't real high on the album?"
Well, for one thing, I've never been fond of romantic duets between father and daughter. Frank and Nancy Sinatra's "Something Stupid" was dubbed "the incest song." Natalie Cole and Nat King Cole carried on the tradition thanks to the "miracle" of techonology. "Unforgettable" stormed the charts but it was creepy as hell and played less like a tribute and more like a struggling artist's attempt to get a hit. (No, I don't mean Nat King Cole.)
On A Time To Love, "How Will I Know" carries on the creepy tradition. It's not a remake of the Whitney Houston hit which might make sense -- the father (Stevie) advising his daughter (Aisha Morris) to "trust your heart." Instead, they trade lines like "How will I know he loves me" and "How will I know she cares" which will creep you out unless you're from an extreme let-it-all-hang-out family.
Before the next parent-child duo contemplates recording a love duet, a bit of advice: DON'T!
That's not the only problem. "From The Bottom Of My Heart" attempts to build a song over a single musical hook. The problem with that is most of us already know "I Just Called To Say I Love You." If we want to hear that song, we'll listen to it.
At six minutes plus, "If Your Love Cannot Be Moved" tests your will if you're just listening. If you're dancing, you can get into the music and ignore the fact that Stevie's tossing off sentences the way INXS tosses flashcards in their video for "New Sensation" (which cribbed from Bob Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues" film footage). It adds up to nothing so move that rear and those feet but don't think.
You're better off not thinking throughout the album or you'll be depressed that, as Stevie Wonder runs through another decade as a recording artist, he has nothing to say lyrically.


There's more to the review so use the link. Hope everyone had a great weekend and sorry to rush through this entry.




No comments: